[Tagging] Tagging Free Water for cafés, bars, restaurant

Florimond Berthoux florimond.berthoux at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 19:25:53 UTC 2020

Hi, I go quickly through the email thread and didn't saw the simple
solution:

use drinking_water
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:drinking_water
«drinking_water=* indicates whether a feature provides drinking water,
specifically whether water is drinkable for humans. »
So if a cafe provide the service of supplying drinking water, I would use
the usual access values with this key
drinking_water=yes/no/private/...

and use fee
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:fee
«The fee tag is for specifying whether a fee is usually charged for a
service, or for access. »
the service here is the drinking water so
drinking_water:fee=yes/no
And if more precision is needed use drinking_water:fee:conditional=*

Of course most of the cafe give drinking water (though may be not
completely drinkable...) so drinking_water can be optional here.

No new tag is needed here, KISS ;)

Le lun. 13 janv. 2020 à 10:20, European Water Project <
europeanwaterproject at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Dear All,
>
> I thought this subject could wait, but it is becoming pressing early than
> I expected.
>
> As part of our project (and that of similar non-profits - most of which
> are not open data but nevertheless great organisations), we want to
> voluntarily encourage cafés, bars and restaurants to offer free tap water
> bottle refill to anyone off the street.  Refill has had significant success
> in the UK and surprising the feedback is that the impact of increased
> customer traffic far outweighs any issue of cannibalization.
>
> If it is not already the case, could we develop a tagging standard for
> this case. Maybe "amenity = cafe & free_water = yes"
>
> It would be important to develop at the same time a distinct tag for
> another cause, which we support but will not be targeting is restaurants
> which offer free tap water for paying customers.
> Maybe "amenity = restuarant & free_carafe = yes"
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Stuart
>
> PS :
>
> The European Water Project progressive web app powered by OpenStreetMap,
> Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons data can be found :
> https://europeanwaterproject.org

Florimond Berthoux