[Tagging] Tagging Free Water for cafés, bars, restaurant

Florimond Berthoux florimond.berthoux at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 21:59:39 UTC 2020

Because https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Any_tags_you_like
Tags are already defined and used.
free_water would be in conflict with tags fee and drinking_water.
free_water is two words with two concepts (price and service)
drinking_water:fee use the usual main:sub_propertie tagging pattern

I have no opinion about container, but I can remember an old discussion
about tagging the property of street food shop where you are able to bring
you own "container" (food box).
In my pattern it would be drinking_water:container=*

Le mer. 15 janv. 2020 à 22:09, European Water Project <
europeanwaterproject at gmail.com> a écrit :

>> 5. Re:  Tagging Free Water for cafés, bars, restaurant
>>       (Florimond Berthoux)
propose is preferable, I do share your love of KISS though.

> [...]
>
> Why do you think your proposal is preferred to the one outlined in the
draft proposal ?
> free_water = <no, yes, customers>
> free_water:container =<bring_your_own,provided>
>
> Best regards,
>
> Stuart
>

> ---------------------
>>

>> Message: 5
>> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 20:25:53 +0100
>> From: Florimond Berthoux <florimond.berthoux at gmail.com>
>> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
>>         <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
>> Subject: Re: [Tagging]  Tagging Free Water for cafés, bars,
>>         restaurant
>>
>> Hi, I go quickly through the email thread and didn't saw the simple
>> solution:
>>
>> use drinking_water
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:drinking_water
>> «drinking_water=* indicates whether a feature provides drinking water,
>> specifically whether water is drinkable for humans. »
>> So if a cafe provide the service of supplying drinking water, I would use
>> the usual access values with this key
>> drinking_water=yes/no/private/...
>>
>> and use fee
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:fee
>> «The fee tag is for specifying whether a fee is usually charged for a
>> service, or for access. »
>> the service here is the drinking water so
>> drinking_water:fee=yes/no
>> And if more precision is needed use drinking_water:fee:conditional=*
>>
>> Of course most of the cafe give drinking water (though may be not
>> completely drinkable...) so drinking_water can be optional here.
>>
>> No new tag is needed here, KISS ;)
>>
>> Le lun. 13 janv. 2020 à 10:20, European Water Project <
>> europeanwaterproject at gmail.com> a écrit :
>>
>> > Dear All,
>> >
>> > I thought this subject could wait, but it is becoming pressing early
than
>> > I expected.
>> >
>> > As part of our project (and that of similar non-profits - most of which
>> > are not open data but nevertheless great organisations), we want to
>> > voluntarily encourage cafés, bars and restaurants to offer free tap
water
>> > bottle refill to anyone off the street.  Refill has had significant
success
>> > in the UK and surprising the feedback is that the impact of increased
>> > customer traffic far outweighs any issue of cannibalization.
>> >
>> > If it is not already the case, could we develop a tagging standard for
>> > this case. Maybe "amenity = cafe & free_water = yes"
>> >
>> > It would be important to develop at the same time a distinct tag for
>> > another cause, which we support but will not be targeting is
restaurants
>> > which offer free tap water for paying customers.
>> > Maybe "amenity = restuarant & free_carafe = yes"
>> >
>> > Many thanks,
>> >
>> > Stuart
>> >
>> > PS :
>> >
>> > The European Water Project progressive web app powered by
OpenStreetMap,
>> > Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons data can be found :
>> > https://europeanwaterproject.org
>> >

>> --
>> Florimond Berthoux

Florimond Berthoux