[Tagging] Tagging Free Water for cafés, bars, restaurant

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 22:46:44 UTC 2020

Thank you for pointing out the tag "drinking_water=yes/no"

Looking at the wiki page for this tag and for the related tag
amenity=drinking_water, it is strongly implied that this is for a
drinking water supply which is self-service.

Examples include water taps, drinking fountains, wells, and springs.
Features where this is commonly used include camping and wilderness
accomodations.

So it may be reasonable to have a different tag for the situation
where the drinking water is only available by requesting it from the
employees of a business.

I note that "drinking_water:fee" is not mentioned at
"Key:drinking_water" or "Tag:amenity=drinking_water" pages, and it has
only been used 7 times.

The only place that drinking_water:fee is mentioned is as an idea at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:free_refill - the
"free_refill" proposal.

So I think a new tag like "free_water=" is sensible, since
"amenity=drinking_water" and "drinking_water=yes" have previously been
assumed to be both free of charge and accessible to the public without
needing to ask special permission.

- Joseph Eisenberg