[Tagging] Cooker or Stove in the kitchen?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 02:04:44 UTC 2020

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 01:49, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ok, so a propane or butane "camping stove" is a "hob", not a "cooker",
> since it lacks an oven?

Didn't think about those.  Probably a camping stove, even in British
English.
There's a lot of cross-cultural contamination. :)

Cooker generally means an oven with hob.  Without an oven, it's not a
cooker.
Without a hob, it's probably just an oven to most people.

> I suppose "stove" is used for wood and coal-fueled heating devices too?

For heating devices, yes, although "wood burner" or "log burner" are also
common (but not "coal burner" AFAIK).  For coal burners with glass windows,
most people would call them fires.

And just to show how illogical we Brits are, an electrical heater with
elements
that glow red is usually called an electric fire.  Some even have tacky
flame
effects, but even without the flame effects it's still an electric fire.

We also have electric heaters that have no visible elements and which heat
internal
bricks using cheap-rate electricity, known as storage heaters.  Needs a
special
meter with a time clock, and an electricity supplier that offers cheaper
rates
off peak.

--
Paul