[Tagging] Cooker or Stove in the kitchen?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 12:38:42 UTC 2020

Am Do., 16. Jan. 2020 um 01:38 Uhr schrieb Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com>:

> On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 00:26, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> British English speakers:
>> If you are mapping a device which burns fuel or uses electricity to
>> cook food in a pot or pan, is this a "cooker" or a "stove" or
>> something else?
>> What if it has an oven included, or doesn't?
> With oven, and using electricity or gas, a cooker.  Without an oven, using
> electricity or gas, a hot plate or hob (US English means something
> completely
> different by "hob").
> Wood or coal-burning, a stove.  Which used to be use for the electric and
> gas variants too, but it seems to have dropped out of British English
> (well,
> my idiolect) except for wood/coal burners.  And even then, the wood/coal
> burner might be called a cooker anyway.  Or an Aga or other brand name.

are these 2 things both called "stove" in British English?

for cooking with wood / coal fire:

just or mostly for heating:

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20200120/2d8ec70d/attachment.htm>

More information about the Tagging mailing list