[Tagging] Query regarding seasonal tag combined for outdoor water fountains.

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Thu Jan 16 02:14:45 UTC 2020

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 at 20:52, Joseph Eisenberg
<joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > seasonal=summer
>
> Well, this is the problem with the tag "seasonal" - it's not 100%
> clear if "seasonal=summer" means "this feature is only available in
> the summer" or "this feature is NOT available in the summer".

Ah, good point! So I guess for a drinking fountain seasonal=yes is the
most reasonable when I don't know the months when it's active (I'm in
a climate that freezes, so they get shut down sometime before that).
That's decently human-readable and I'd guess most people will guess
right when informed that the fountain is "seasonal".

Unfortunately I've just now started noticing that these are shut off
and while I guess they were actually shut down closer to November...

I was also thinking about public toilets that get closed off in the
winter (I think because they're not heated, so no water in winter?) -
I guess opening_hours=off @ (winter) is the best we can do if we don't
know when they are closed off.

(I'm keeping in mind that "winter" isn't unambiguous, but I hope
software can apply a rough preset based on hemisphere in which the
feature is located?)

--Jarek