[Tagging] Tagging Free Water for cafés, bars, restaurant

Florimond Berthoux florimond.berthoux at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 20:22:07 UTC 2020

Le mer. 15 janv. 2020 à 23:47, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
a écrit :

> Thank you for pointing out the tag "drinking_water=yes/no"
>
> Looking at the wiki page for this tag and for the related tag
> amenity=drinking_water, it is strongly implied that this is for a
> drinking water supply which is self-service.
>
> Examples include water taps, drinking fountains, wells, and springs.
> Features where this is commonly used include camping and wilderness
> accomodations.

This is how you read the pages, for me it’s free to use it everywhere just
to tag if drinking water is available or not.
Of course default tags can be assumed, drinking_water on an amenity=toilets
is probably free.

> So it may be reasonable to have a different tag for the situation
> where the drinking water is only available by requesting it from the
> employees of a business.

self_service key https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:self_service can
be used for this like:
drinking_water:self_service=yes/no/...

> I note that "drinking_water:fee" is not mentioned at
> "Key:drinking_water" or "Tag:amenity=drinking_water" pages, and it has
> only been used 7 times.

As long as you know tags fee and drinking_water, and the meaning of the
token ’:’ (A:B -> B of A), new tags can be created easily and be understood
by every one without new page to write.

As we are talking about drinking water in a Cafe/Pub/Bar drinking_water can
be optional though we can use drinking_water:fee.
drinking_water in a cafe can be assumed to not be self_service by default.

--
Florimond Berthoux