[Tagging] building=disused

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 01:49:32 UTC 2020

>>  I'm unsure why Carto ignores such a popular tagging scheme.
>>
> Is it actually popular?

The place to request changed to Openstreetmap-carto is
http://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues

According to taginfo, there are a total of 11,158 occurence of
disused:man_made and disused:building http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/POy
vs
27,446 uses of man_made=* and building=* with disused=yes:
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/POz

So the "disused=yes" form is 2.5 times more popular for these
features. This is especially true for man_made=*. It's the same with
landuse=* (see below)

In comparison, disused:shop=* is 40 times more common that shop=* +
disused - this is good, it makes sense that a disused shop is no
longer a shop and should not be under the "shop=*" key:

 disused:shop - 13,896 - http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/POF
 shop + disused=yes - 341 - http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/POE

(I would expect that disused:man_made is the right choice is some
cases, depending on the value and the situation, but I think
disused:building is usually a mistake, unless the "building" is
actually no longer a building with a roof, in which case "abandoned"
or "ruined" or "demolished" would be more appropriate)

-Joseph Eisenberg

Individual queries:
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/POA - disused:building - 9,641
http://overpass-turbo.eu - building= + disused=yes - 11,953