[Tagging] RFC free_water

European Water Project europeanwaterproject at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 11:08:52 UTC 2020

>  2. Re: RFC free_water (François Lacombe)

Hi François,

I see your point and agree it would be preferable to develop a more
generalize nomenclature, but also think it is important to choose something
that is understandable to a newbie.

If we chose charge:water
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:charge:water&action=edit&redlink=1>
=free
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:charge:water%3Dfree&action=edit&redlink=1>
 we would need to differentiate when the water is free to anyone (yes in
OSM speak) or just paying customers (customers in OSM speak).

We could use :
charge:water
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:charge:water&action=edit&redlink=1>
=<free
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:charge:water%3Dfree&action=edit&redlink=1>
/fee>
access = <yes/no/customers>
container = <bring_own/provided>

In the above, European Water Project would only include cafés, bars, etc.
with
charge:water
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:charge:water&action=edit&redlink=1>
=free
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:charge:water%3Dfree&action=edit&redlink=1>
access = yes
container = bring_own

but the other permutations could be useful to others....

Best regards,

Stuart