[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tax free shopping

Hauke Stieler mail at hauke-stieler.de
Fri Jan 17 11:48:23 UTC 2020

There was an Email from Mateusz Konieczny a bit earlier making a very
good point:

There is the general "duty_free=*" and more specific
"duty_free:refund=*" tag, but also very specific "duty_free:refund:*=*"
tags. In OSM we usually add also the more general tags like this:

emergency=fire_hydrant
fire_hydrant:position=sidewalk

And I think this makes also sense for the duty_free-tag when we say
"duty_free=yes" means: A traveler doesn't have to pay taxes, either by
paying less or by getting them back.

When you additionally add "duty_free:refund=yes" (and additionally maybe
more specific ones), there wouldn't be a need for a "limited" value.
This combination would say: A traveler doesn't have to pay taxes here
because the shop offers support in getting them back.

A shop at an airport where travelers generally pay no taxes would be
tagged with "duty_free=yes" and optionally with "duty_free:refund=no".

I hope this also makes sense to you.