[Tagging] EV charging stations questions and proposals

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 12:37:32 UTC 2020

Hi all,

As we plan to start a new "Project of the month" in France to improve EV
charging facilities mapping, a few questions raise regarding tagging of
those amenities.

We want to encourage people to use the established tagging and want to be
sure we won't do it in the wrong way as well.

amenity=charging_station recommends to use car=* to state the feature is
accessible by car.
According to more general highway tagging, motorcar=* is preferred to
describe such access rules. Should this recommendation evolve to replace
car=* by motorcar=* for charging stations ?
Open question on Talk :
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:amenity%3Dcharging_station#Vehicles

According to official terminology, a station sounds to be a device in a
pool which refers to the place where you find several devices to charge
your EV. amenity=charging_station then should refers to individual devices
and not to whole facilities.
Can someone confirm this point please?
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:amenity%3Dcharging_station#Is_this_a_device_or_a_place_.3F

In Europe, eMI3 standard describes how such pools and EVSE should be
identifies with unique references.
I propose https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ref:EU:EVSE as a
framework for those references with sourced documentation. Feel free to
suggest any improvement or concern you may have regarding this.

Best regards

François