[Tagging] EV charging stations questions and proposals

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Jan 18 15:25:10 UTC 2020

18 Jan 2020, 13:37 by fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com:

> Hi all,
>
> As we plan to start a new "Project of the month" in France to improve EV charging facilities mapping, a few questions raise regarding tagging of those amenities.
>
> We want to encourage people to use the established tagging and want to be sure we won't do it in the wrong way as well.

Thanks for reviewing tagging and tagging docs as part of that!

> amenity=charging_station recommends to use car=* to state the feature is accessible by car.
> According to more general highway tagging, motorcar=* is preferred to describe such access rules. Should this recommendation evolve to replace car=* by motorcar=* for charging stations ?
> Open question on Talk : > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:amenity%3Dcharging_station#Vehicles

So charging station for bicycles and charging station for cars is supposed
to be have the same top tag?

> According to official terminology, a station sounds to be a device in a pool which refers to the place where you find several devices to charge your EV. amenity=charging_station then should refers to individual devices and not to whole facilities.
> Can someone confirm this point please?
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:amenity%3Dcharging_station#Is_this_a_device_or_a_place_.3F

I really hope that it is for a place.
If it is equivalent of tagging every pump separately then we need a new tag
for the entire equivalent of amenity=fuel