[Tagging] EV charging stations questions and proposals

Lionel Giard lionel.giard at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 16:24:51 UTC 2020

For motorcar vs car, it seems logical to update it to motorcar as it is the
recommended way of tagging car access, as it is probably just an old wiki
information on the amenity=charging_station. At the same time, should we
use another tag than scouter=* for them ? Because it is not an existing tag
on the access wiki page. Maybe using moped=* + motorcycle=* would be better
and more in line with the access wiki page ?! Same for truck=* which
doesn't exist, but i'm not sure if hgv=* would be the correct one ? How do
we tag a fuel station dedicated to truck ? Because we could use the same
tagging for electric charging that will be available for truck only. I
don't know if any exist yet, but they are coming this year or next year at
least with the new electric truck that start to appear.

To my understanding it is both a device and a place which is confusing.
Maybe we should use the current tagging for the place (similar to
amenity=fuel) and another for the device if needed. Because historically,
there weren't many real "station" like we would have "fuel station". It was
mostly simple charging socket on a place in a parking lot. This is not a
station to me, but a device alone. At the moment, we use
amenity=charging_station both for such socket/device in a parking lot and
for larger station like Fastned station
<https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastned#/media/Datei:Fastned_electric_vehicle_charging_station,_De_W%C3%A2lden_(2019)_13.jpg>
in the Netherlands, Ionity station or Tesla supercharger. It seems quite
different and maybe we should refine it with one tag for a place looking
like a station (with multiple charging devices) and a tag for just the
device (especially for place like the airport where you can have many
charging socket in a parking that are there to park your car and leave it
charging when you take the plane) - i don't think these place are a
"station".