[Tagging] Cooker or Stove in the kitchen?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 13:12:04 UTC 2020

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 at 12:40, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

> are these 2 things both called "stove" in British English?
> Some would call both of those a stove.  Some would call only one of those a
stove.  Some would call neither of them a stove (one is a cooker, the other
wood burner).

Usage changes.  Fifty years ago it was fairly common to hear older people
refer to a gas cooker as a gas stove, or even just a stove: they'd grown up
with wood/coal-burning cookers called stoves, so the new gas cooker was a
gas stove.

Usage changes.  People call things what the marketers call them.  If it's
advertised as a stove they call it a stove; if it's advertised as a cooker
they call it a cooker.

OTOH, if you ask people for a generic term for something with an oven
and hob, they'll probably say cooker rather than stove.  If you ask them
a generic term for something that burns wood or coal to heat a room they'll
probably say fire, unless you specify that it's in a closed container in
case they'll probably say stove.  But that may depend upon where in the
UK you ask.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20200120/05e79861/attachment.htm>

More information about the Tagging mailing list