[Tagging] How to tag Landscaping tarpaper / weedblocking paper

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 14:06:52 UTC 2020

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 at 13:52, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

I don't find the surface tag compelling for this, because around here, most
> of them are below the surface (although not very deep). I would either see
> them as erosing control features or maybe ground reenforcement? (in any
> case these would be area properties and not features in OSM)

If they're sub-surface, a mapper won't see them on a survey or aerial
imagery.  The
OP appeared to be talking specifically of surface features for preventing
weeds
and/or erosion control, not reinforcement.  Visible, therefore mappable.
Surface
type, therefore surface=*.

Sheets used to mechanically-stabilize earth are not only not visible, they
go deep.
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0olpSN6_TCc for a fuller explanation.

--
Paul