[Tagging] EV charging stations questions and proposals

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 17:08:56 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Le sam. 18 janv. 2020 à 16:26, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
a écrit :

> Thanks for reviewing tagging and tagging docs as part of that!

You're welcome

> So charging station for bicycles and charging station for cars is supposed
> to be have the same top tag?

Yes I think so

> According to official terminology, a station sounds to be a device in a
> pool which refers to the place where you find several devices to charge
> your EV. amenity=charging_station then should refers to individual devices
> and not to whole facilities.
> Can someone confirm this point please?
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:amenity%3Dcharging_station#Is_this_a_device_or_a_place_.3F
>
> I really hope that it is for a place.
> If it is equivalent of tagging every pump separately then we need a new
> tag
> for the entire equivalent of amenity=fuel

Both could be desirable, for different use cases.
This is what I asked on amenity=fuel Talk:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:amenity%3Dfuel#Tagging_individual_pumps

Le sam. 18 janv. 2020 à 17:26, Lionel Giard <lionel.giard at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> For motorcar vs car, it seems logical to update it to motorcar as it is
> the recommended way of tagging car access, as it is probably just an old
> wiki information on the amenity=charging_station.

Agreed on this point.
Would be great to read people that knows

> i don't think these place are a "station".

So am I and it would be ok to have an additional tag for devices and
choosing the right terminology to adopt for that

We have to be careful because in some standards :
The place including several devices = A pool
The device with several sockets = A station
A socket = An equipment (EVSE)

Le lun. 20 janv. 2020 à 14:05, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
a écrit :

> I am not completely sure, but maybe "car" was chosen purposefully because
> this is not the same as a legal access restriction?

Maybe
This is not really meaningful nevertheless, not containing any references
to "legal issues" in name.
That could be improved

All the best

François