[Tagging] RFC free_water

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 13:35:51 UTC 2020

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 at 13:21, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> Its a shame the website doesn't have location, I do not use Google play,
> but I guess thats why you want to put them into OSM.

I tried the app on Android.  It uses Google maps, which is common for
Android
apps.  I expect the Apple version uses Apple maps.  I don't know about
Apple,
but part of the reason OSM has become so popular of late is that Google put
their Maps prices up to silly levels, so they wouldn't want to use it on
their website.

The data doesn't need to go into OSM in order for them to put an OSM
location
map on their website.  You could do it with Leaflet by programmatically
parsing
a list of co-ordinates, or you could do it manually (ugh!) with uMap.  OTOH,
if these things were tagged, you could pick them up automatically in uMap by
building an overpass-turbo query into the uMap layer.  I'd expect some of
the
variant cartos that allow the display of only selected categories of POI
would
make use of the data with an option to display/highlight water refill POIs.

As its a UK scheme, discussion on the talk-gb list would be more focussed
> and you will reach more mappers who are able to survey and contribute.

Once we've agreed on the tagging, yep.  Although bear in mind that other
countries are starting to adopt similar schemes.

--
Paul