[Tagging] Page about mismatching key names (historic=wayside_shrine used for modern ones etc)

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Fri Jan 24 14:29:45 UTC 2020

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 at 09:12, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:
> Il ven 24 gen 2020, 11:51 Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> ha scritto:
>> One of topics often appearing is mismatch between meaning of key
>> and key text.
>> It is created at
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mismatching_key_names
>> but page name is horrible. Ideas for a better one is welcome.
>>
>> Also, I only started it - help in expanding and improving it
>> is highly welcomed.
>
> These are no mismatches.
> Keys and values are in principle arbitrary sequences of alphanumeric characters. By convention we try to make them mnemonic by using strings that somehow help us remember the meaning of the string. By convention we use British English words for keys and values, plus numbers, mainly for values.
>
> This explanation needs to be placed prominently on the new page, to avoid any doubt.

Please no. That wiki page is a much better explanation than this "it's
only symbols".

Keys and values are ways for us as human editors to communicate with
each other. Those are commonly called "words" - well, at least in
Canadian English, I don't know about British English.

It is definitely worth explaining why some words as OSM editors use
them are different from words as the rest of the world (or a subset of
the world) might use them.

--Jarek