[Tagging] Continuous Sidewalk or Cycleway

Florimond Berthoux florimond.berthoux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 22:44:03 UTC 2020

What are the features of a continuous sidewalk ?
The main feature is to have a... continuous sidewalk, which means the
layout of the sidewalk is the same before, at the junction and after. If
you look only at the sidewalk you would not see any difference in surface
or height. (At least for the perfect case.)
A continuous sidewalk is more comfort and secure for pedestrians (and
cyclists) since there is no kurbs to cross and cars have to go slower.
And bind with that you can have legal implications like right of way for
pedestrian, give way for car going on the main road, etc.
The law cannot be tagged since it's not on the ground, but the layout of a
continuous sidewalk can be.

Besides that, In the point of view of a car drivers you have (most of the
time) a traffic calming it's almost like a table, though the ramp can vary
a lot from only a small kerb
here
http://www.gablenberger-klaus.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/K-Spielstra%C3%9Fe-1.jpg
to a real ramp
https://www.mapillary.com/app/?focus=photo&pKey=vrI5-QaNkUDqSw5uaCWXKA&lat=53.07202360058028&lng=8.790521908123765&z=17&x=0.5058547386437018&y=0.589992689065802&zoom=0
So traffic calming is not always the case.
With a table the pedestrians have to cross the road, it is the opposite for
the continuous sidewalk that's why I'm in favor to add a new value
traffic_calming=continuous_sidewalk

Give ways:
If there is traffic sign or painting you can add a give way tag.
If there is none, you cannot add a give way, or you would interpret the law
which is not on the ground.

Crossing:
I thought of using crossing key but there are issues:
- the tag is only for pedestrians crossing the road, where as a continuous
sidewalk is a sidewalk cross by cars (though we could change the definition
of crossing to embrace more situations)
- continuous cycleways exist too (and it’s the main reason I’d like to tag
them)
- it collides with continuous sidewalk, you may have continuous sidewalk
and a crossing, it’s not a normal case but I have at least one example in
Paris where zebras were added on a continuous sidewalk, hence the need for
another tag.

For the moment my concern is about would it be possible to have tag
collision with junction.
And I just realize that a cycleway can be a junction=roundabout, and being
continuous at the intersection with roads in and out of the roundabout.
So I guess we have to create a key.

Le ven. 24 janv. 2020 à 10:48, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> a écrit :

> I made a quick sketch:
>
> https://photos.smugmug.com/OSM/Screenshots/Screenshots-1/i-w92ZnDZ/0/90e60837/X4/Bezuidenhoutseweg%20-%20Google%20Maps-X4.png
> Of course, this info is then only available for the cars following the
> blue road. Cycling navigation along de Bezuidenhoutseweg will not be
> able to take this info into account. If you want that, you will have
> to draw the cycleway as a separate OSM way.
>
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 10:37 AM Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Add a node where the way, which represents the road for the cars,
> > crosses the cycleway. There does not have to be a way representing the
> > cycleway. We do the same for zebra crossings for pedestrians all the
> > time. We add the node where the path that the pedestrians have to
> > follow crosses the road for the cars.
> >
> > regards
> >
> > m.
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 7:49 AM Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > > (How) would this work where sidewalks are not mapped as separate ways
> but with sidewalk=yes?
> > >
> > > Best, Peter Elderson

Florimond Berthoux