[Tagging] Continuous Sidewalk or Cycleway

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 14:01:20 UTC 2020

Give ways:
> If there is traffic sign or painting you can add a give way tag.
> If there is none, you cannot add a give way, or you would interpret the
> law which is not on the ground.

We have many situations of legal restrictions that we express by tagging,
even though there are no explicit signs.
Various kinds of implicit speed limits spring to mind.
I see no good reason against tagging implicit (no-sign) give-ways with
explicit tags in OSM.
To the contrary, it would be odd to define a specific value of a crossing
or sidewalk tag to imply a give_way at a nearby road crossing.

Volker