[Tagging] From the Australian fires (still burning unfortunately) how to map burnt areas

Alan Mackie aamackie at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 22:56:31 UTC 2020

There are some tags documented on the Russian wiki page for key:wood [1]
that describe various types of damage to wooded areas, one of which is
wood:damage=burnt. I don't think it's been used much outside of Russia, but
it seems fairly reasonable for areas likely to regenerate.

There have been other disaster tagging schemes that seem to be used on
occasion, but they always seem to be listed under a particular disaster's
wiki page rather than in some centralised location.

It would be nice to get some more consistency here, but I think the problem
with this sort of tagging is that these tend to be the sort of thing that
should be locally surveyed and updating OSM generally isn't the priority
unless it is somehow part of a specific organisation's workflow.

[1]: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/RU:Key:wood