[Tagging] From the Australian fires (still burning unfortunately) how to map burnt areas

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 02:10:52 UTC 2020

On 27/1/20 12:47 pm, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> For woods the problem is that there are 3 different levels of fire
> impact, and only the most severe is clearly visible in aerial imagery
> or from a distance - but this is also quite dangerous to survey in
> person.

Many areas and roads are closed due to the hazards. However press reports are avalible if somewhat breif and tend to show the worst.

> ) 1A "crown fire" (US English) burns the tallest trees which comprise
> the canopy or "crown" of the woodland.

Many of the fires here have been of this type - the word 'unfightable' may be applied.

> In the Northwest USA, this
> would be the tall Ponderosa pines, Douglas firs or similar very tall
> trees. This sort of fire leaves standing stags with no needles or
> leaves and the ground is usually scorched black - very obvious.
>
> 2) But most forest fires rarely reach the crown:

Depends on conditions, hot, dry for months and windy ... crown fire is a high probability.
And that is what we have had.
Many fire fighters have said they have never had fires so numerous and so ferocious.

{snip}

> So if it reasonable to map this? If you do map it, you had best be
> prepared to remap the area in 12 months and again after a couple of
> years, or the data will be quickly incorrect.

I am not mapping it. Someone from Germany is, some of it from images on facebook. And I don't think they will be back.

>   I would also think it is pretty necessary to have the current natural
> vegetation mapped at the same time for surrounding areas, or the
> extent of the burned area will lack context.

I don't think they are interested in mapping that.

I am inclined to tell them that;
A) the tagging in inappropriate
B) the is no OSM appropriate tagging
c) the data will become out of date fairly quickly

And then ask them to remove their data for the above reasons.

However some may want to map this kind of data. In that case there should be a tagging system for it.
Is there anyone who wants this data in OSM?