[Tagging] admin_level on ways

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 09:43:04 UTC 2020

I wonder what is the current state of admin_level on ways, in particular
with respect to osm-carto. Historically, the recommendation was to add the
lowest admin_level additionally to the ways that are part of admin
relations (to help applications that render boundaries based on ways, for
examples eliminates the need of "flattening" overlapping boundaries in case
you would want to use non-continuous line styles).

However, practically this leeds to ambiguous situations, where for example
admin_level=4 is added to islands and might be misinterpreted as
administrative "standalone" level 4 entities (with the island name etc.).
While a clear separation of administration and coastline could solve this,
it would still mean continuous additional maintenance effort due to
duplication of already present information.

Is there still a serious risk of immature applications that allow removal
of ways without taking into account relations memberships? Will the borders
vanish from osm-carto if we rely only on relations? Does iD require admin
tags on ways?

Cheers
Martin