[Tagging] Active volcanoes

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 07:47:39 UTC 2020

On 27/1/20 6:24 pm, John Willis via Tagging wrote:
> I agree with you that this is the scale that volcanologists use, but
> people want to draw a distinction between something that erupted
> recently compared sometime in the last 200 years
>
> Perhaps it is easier to just apply the “active” and “Frequently
> active” tags via this third-party data source,

"frequently active " means what?

If it erupted last year .. but not for 200 years before that I'd not
call it 'frequent'.

> but it would completely remove mapper’s ability to add a mountain to
> this list via tagging.

Possibly "last_eruption=" if that is what you want???

What is really wanted is "next eruption=" and know one knows that :(

Possibly the things OSM can verify are

last_eruption=*

lava=yes/no

Is there anything else easily verifiable? And the next question is - who
is going to use that data?