[Tagging] highway=path for *all* mixed foot/bicycle highways?

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 15:53:36 UTC 2020

At first glance, the new text seems to contradict some patterns
presented in this article: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bicycle

I've been using these patterns in my mappings.

On the other hand, the new text agrees with this:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sidewalks#Cycleway_and_footway_on_sidewalk

I know that highway=path should only be used only when it is
impossible to assign a main function to the path, therefore, when the
main function is not clear or when there are several functions and
none of them can be considered the main one. So, what I got in the
first article is that it is assumed that the path formed by a sidewalk
a a parallel cycle path would be meant mainly for cycling and has
walking as a valid, but lesser function.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 1:37 PM Jmapb <jmapb at gmx.com> wrote:

> Hi all, just noticed this passage on the cycleway=* wiki page (
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway ):
>
> > For mapping a separate path (on a separate way) dedicated to cycling
> > traffic use highway=cycleway. Foot traffic is restricted on these paths.
> >
> >   *  Do not use highway=cycleway on paths for both cyclist and foot
> > traffic (such as shared paths). Instead use highway=path with
> > bicycle=designated and foot=designated. Add also segregated=yes or
> > segregated=no) as applicable.
> >    * For paths where cycling is not permissible use highway=footway.
> > If cycling is permissible even if it is not signed but legally
> > permissible on a path, use highway=path (and a combination of the
> > segregated key and designated tag as applicable) and not highway=footway.
>
> (This was added by wiki user Aaronsta last May, with no change description.)
>
> Does anyone know if there was a discussion, here or elsewhere, that led
> to this change?
>
> My own impression over the years has been that mappers use
> highway=cycleway on anything that primarily for bicycle traffic, and add
> access keys for any other permitted traffic. Similarly for
> highway=footway. So "highway=cycleway + foot=yes" and "highway=footway +
> bicycle=designated" are quite common. Is there a general consensus that
> these are better mapped as highway=path?
>
> If so, we might want to consider standardizing the highway=cycleway and
> highway=footway wiki pages with this same rule. And also editing the
> highway=path page, which currently says it's not for use in urban
> situations.
>
> Thanks, Jason

Fernando Trebien