[Tagging] highway=path for *all* mixed foot/bicycle highways?

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Mon Jan 27 15:36:50 UTC 2020

Hi all, just noticed this passage on the cycleway=* wiki page (
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway ):

> For mapping a separate path (on a separate way) dedicated to cycling
> traffic use highway=cycleway. Foot traffic is restricted on these paths.
>
>   *  Do not use highway=cycleway on paths for both cyclist and foot
> traffic (such as shared paths). Instead use highway=path with
> bicycle=designated and foot=designated. Add also segregated=yes or
> segregated=no) as applicable.
>    * For paths where cycling is not permissible use highway=footway.
> If cycling is permissible even if it is not signed but legally
> permissible on a path, use highway=path (and a combination of the
> segregated key and designated tag as applicable) and not highway=footway.

(This was added by wiki user Aaronsta last May, with no change description.)

Does anyone know if there was a discussion, here or elsewhere, that led
to this change?

My own impression over the years has been that mappers use
highway=cycleway on anything that primarily for bicycle traffic, and add
access keys for any other permitted traffic. Similarly for
highway=footway. So "highway=cycleway + foot=yes" and "highway=footway +
bicycle=designated" are quite common. Is there a general consensus that
these are better mapped as highway=path?

If so, we might want to consider standardizing the highway=cycleway and
highway=footway wiki pages with this same rule. And also editing the
highway=path page, which currently says it's not for use in urban
situations.

Thanks, Jason