[Tagging] highway=path for *all* mixed foot/bicycle highways?

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Mon Jan 27 18:48:50 UTC 2020

> Am Mo., 27. Jan. 2020 um 16:37 Uhr schrieb Jmapb <jmapb at gmx.com
> <mailto:jmapb at gmx.com>>:
>
>     And also editing the
>     highway=path page, which currently says it's not for use in urban
>     situations.
>

> this seems very strange and is likely the result of fiddling. In the
> areas I am aware of, path is the standard way to map mixed mode ways
> regardless of context (urban or not).

I misremembered the phrasing slightly -- the actual text on the
highway=path page is

> For "urban paths" which are designated for "pedestrians only", it's
> better to use highway=footway.

This was added by Geow, an experienced and active German mapper, in
2015. Reading the actual text, I guess that recommendation doesn't have
direct bearing on the question here, which is mixed-use paths not
pedestrian-only paths.

The image caption on highway=path used to say  "semi-urban path" but
this was removed last year by Geow (who left the helpful comment
"Changed incorrect and misleading image caption. Note that "path" is not
restricted to semi-urban and may be sign posted as well" -- now *that's*
how you edit a wiki, my friends!)