[Tagging] highway=path for *all* mixed foot/bicycle highways?

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 19:57:55 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 10:53 AM Tod Fitch <tod at fitchfamily.org> wrote:

>  But having values of footway, path, cycleway and bridal way allow a
short hand that allows the map users (and renderers) to use a set of
assumptions about the way. And it allows mappers to quickly categorize the
way. I personally would find it tedious to the point of probably not
mapping if I had to estimate surface smoothness and width (both of which
can vary wildly) along the length of a hiking trail to indicate this was a
“path” rather than a “footway”.
"path" is a quick way for me to categorize a way. Indicating that it is
something narrower than a track. As I learn more about it, I add additional
tags, most notably, access tags.  I would find it very tedious to try to
determine for what purpose most trails around where I live were built
before I mapped them.