[Tagging] Active volcanoes

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Mon Jan 27 19:00:58 UTC 2020

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 09:02:17 +1100
Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27/1/20 1:32 am, Paul Allen wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 at 20:44, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
> > <mailto:kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 2:38 PM Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com
> >     <mailto:pla16021 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     > But "active" is too broad a term to be meaningful, I think.
> >
> >     Well, then, let's clarify the intention, narrow the definition,
> > choose a more appropriate keyword if necessary, wikify the narrowed
> >     definition, and use that, rather than rejecting the idea out of
> > hand.
> >

> > Good idea.  So I did some digging.  There are no
> > scientifically-agreed definitions of the terms.  It's more of a
> > folksonomy that scientists sometimes
> > use when talking to "folks."  See
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcano#Volcanic_activity
> > (it's fairly representative of other definitions I've found).  It's
> > messy.  There's a
> > "it hasn't erupted in X years so it's dormant" definition in there,
> > but supervolcanoes
> > like Yellowstone are excluded.  Iceland's volcanoes are very
> > interconnected.  Etc.
> >
> > About the only characteristic I've seen so far upon which there is
> > broad agreement (and is verifiable by ordinary mappers) is the
> > presence of a lava
> > lake (which many people probably think of when they see the term
> > "active volcano").  That's mappable, in my opinion.
>

> I would suggest using a constant tag to go along with what is being
> mapped.
>

> If lava is visible then, perhaps, lava=yes... lava=visible???

This isn't a very useful tag for deciding if a volcano is active: most
eruptions produce steam explosions or ash columns, not lava flows.
There are three or maybe four volcanoes in the world that have
persistent lava lakes right now (Erta Ale is a bit hazardous to
survey), and I think just one that's producing long-lived lava flows.

--
Mark