[Tagging] Deprecate healthcare=pharmacy and healthcare=hospital

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 12:45:40 UTC 2020

It came to my attention that healthcare=pharmacy is almost only used
in addition to the more common tag amenity=pharmacy:

99.7% of healthcare=pharmacy features are also tagged with
amenity=pharmacy:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/?key=healthcare&value=pharmacy#combinations

The situation is similar (though not as close to 100%) with:

healthcare=hospital + amenity=hospital -- 98.25%
(https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/healthcare=hospital#combinations)

healthcare=dentist + amenity=dentist --
98.3%(https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/healthcare=dentist#combinations)

healtcare=doctor + amenity=doctors -- >97%
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/healthcare=doctor#combinations

In all cases the amenity tag is several times more common, and most
features do not have the healthcare= tag added.

I think it would be reasonable to show healthcare=pharmacy,
healthcare=hospital, healthcare=dentist and healthcare=doctor as
discouraged and unnecessary in the wiki.

Instead, we should recommend using amenity=pharmacy, amenity=hospital,
amenity=dentist or amenity=doctors instead, since the de facto
practice is that you have to add those tags.

-Joseph Eisenberg