[Tagging] highway=path for *all* mixed foot/bicycle highways?

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Wed Jan 29 00:50:55 UTC 2020

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 at 19:45, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 6:14 PM Yaro Shkvorets <shkvorets at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That passage should be rewritten. That's certainly not the common practice.
>> I personally tag `highway=cycleway` where bikes significantly outnumber foot traffic, `highway=footway` where foot traffic significantly outnumbers bikes, `highway=path` for the rest.
>> If you need to explicitly disallow bikes or foot you use access tags.
>
> This seems a little iffy.  I mean, footway is obvious, is it designed for people on foot, and too narrow for oncoming bikes to meet?  Footway.  City sidewalk?  Footway.  A path through a park?  Probably a path (especially if it's multiuse), unless it's really narrow, then footway.  Has lanes but isn't a street?  Cycleway.

Around Toronto I've generally seen (and also tagged myself), for
routes through a park, footway if it's paved or otherwise major, path
if it's unpaved or overgrown or status uncertain. So I interpret
highway=footway to be "higher grade" than highway=path - the opposite
of your interpretation, I fear...

--Jarek