[Tagging] Deprecate healthcare=pharmacy and healthcare=hospital

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 13:32:22 UTC 2020

On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 at 13:19, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Changing this would require all database users, including all 4 map
> styles on openstreetmap.org, to change what features are rendered, for
> no clear benefit, and would also require retagging millions of
> features.

Retagging need not happen immediately (or even at all) if carto dealt with
both alternative tags.  It would simply be a transition allowing a more
rational tagging scheme to come into effect.

> Rather promiting double-tagging with healthcare=pharmacy is a problem:
> it is a needless duplication which provides no additional information.

It was presumably done back in the days when people thought that OSM
indulged in joined-up thinking.  It is apparent now that OSM does not.  No
matter what the benefits of moving from amenity to healthcare, no matter
how many on this list think we should do it, carto insists that there can
never be aliases under any circumstances whatsoever.

--
Paul