[Tagging] road names and refs

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Jan 30 17:07:12 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 10:49 AM Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 10:09 AM Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> (1) The `name=*` field gets the road's actual name. If the road's only
> >> name is 'County Route 12' (New York consistently uses 'Route' rather
> >> than 'Road' for these), to the extent that `addr:street=*` will show
> >> that for the name, then `name=*` gets that name. (Yes I know that
> >> there are mappers who would prefer `noname=yes` in that situation, but
> >> address validation has an easier time with the way I do it.)
>
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 11:20 AM Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> > Please stop.  This gets very annoying for data consumers (especially
> your average joe just using a satnav).  Fix your validation process instead.
>
> I knew you were going to say that. The sentiment seems to run about
> equally between 'fix the navigation software not to read the ref
> twice,' and 'fix software that recognizes street addresses to deal
> with the fact that an address of '2367 County Route 34' might need to
> be translated to a ref=*'.

addr:street= should be tagged anyway, and that's where you can put your
"County Route 34".  Attempting to infer this based off the nearest street
should be a last resort because, at least in the US, it's not uncommon for
what the street's actually named and signed to be *radically* different
than the postal address's street name for simplicity or brevity's sake.

This solves both problems.