[Tagging] road names and refs

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Jan 30 17:56:59 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 11:46 AM Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 12:09 PM Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> > addr:street= should be tagged anyway, and that's where you can put your
> "County Route 34".  Attempting to infer this based off the nearest street
> should be a last resort because, at least in the US, it's not uncommon for
> what the street's actually named and signed to be radically different than
> the postal address's street name for simplicity or brevity's sake.
>
> I do that, too, when I do address points or building footprints. I
> don't propose importing my county's address points (because of data
> quality issues) or its building footprints (because of licensing
> issues) so that happens manually on a catch-as-catch-can basis. If
> you're proposing 'addr:street' on the way, that's fraught with another
> set of issues - but I don't think that's what you're proposing.

No, no.  I'm not proposing addr:street on ways at all, only on things that
actually have an address.  What I am saying is that noname=yes should be a
trigger to validators that they can't depend on the way to handle address
validation.  Just saying that name=County Road 34, ref=CR 34 is wrong;
noname=yes; ref=CR 34 is the way to go.