[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - shop=bubble_tea

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 13:40:38 UTC 2020

> description=* might be a better way of dealing with it (if the name of the
place doesn't give it away).

No, that is a bad idea. The "description" field does not provide consistent
data. It is always preferable to use a new, more specific tag.

One of the basic ideas of OpenStreetMap is "Any Tags You Like", because we
want mappers to invent new tags when there isn't a way to tag some
specific, verifiable information about a feature.

The key "cuisine" is currently used for a number of things:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cuisine

The values "coffee_shop" and "bubble_tea" are both documented,
"cuisine=juice" has been used over 1400 times, and "cuisine=tea" is also in
use a few hundred times.

I think using that key is reasonable, though developing more specific tags
is also an option.

– Joseph Eisenberg