[Tagging] How to map terrace buildings with names

Skyler Hawthorne osm at dead10ck.com
Mon Jul 6 21:15:25 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-07-06 at 13:40 -0700, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> According to the wiki page about building=terrace, it is usually best
> practice to map each house as a separate area (closed way) object.
>
> "A more detailed and recommended alternative is to map each dwelling
> separately using building=house, but keeping at least two nodes in
> common for adjoining houses."
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dterrace
>

> If you map each house individually, it is not necessary to map the
> whole outline of the row of houses.
>
> – Joseph Eisenberg

Thanks for your reply. It may not be "necessary", but it is what I
desire (in order to name each building), and I'm asking if there's a
tagging scheme to do this that makes sense.

I'm also, in a more general sense, raising a question about the
established conventions and whether it makes sense to be tagging the
individual units as "buildings", when they are not really buildings in
and of themselves, but sections of one larger building that contains
several other units.
--
Skyler