[Tagging] How to map terrace buildings with names

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 11:20:15 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 6. Jul 2020, at 22:42, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> According to the wiki page about building=terrace, it is usually best practice to map each house as a separate area (closed way) object.
>
> "A more detailed and recommended alternative is to map each dwelling separately using building=house, but keeping at least two nodes in common for adjoining houses."
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dterrace
>
> If you map each house individually, it is not necessary to map the whole outline of the row of houses.

right, but the question was: how do you add a name to the ensemble?

I.e. an entity is required where the name can be attached to.
An alternative could be to add addr:housename to the individual houses, but it would not exactly be the same thing. It would look like many adjacent houses which all bear the same name.

Cheers Martin