[Tagging] How to map terrace buildings with names

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 19:47:11 UTC 2020

On 07/07/2020 15.24, Skyler Hawthorne wrote:
> Sure thing, it's here:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/42.69323/-73.69023

Huh! That's practically next door to me. There's a whole *whack* of row
houses in south Clifton Park.

> A survey confirmed that they are large buildings with individual units,
> rather than just a series of attached, separate homes.

This seems like a really grey area. See also notes below.

> I did not take photos, as I am not comfortable taking pictures of
> peoples' homes,
Google doesn't share your scruples:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6927405,-73.6883336,3a,24y,315.41h,90.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGkedvwtT8168p_D1SYKF6Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

> but you can see clearly from the aerial photos that the one building
> that had finished construction at the time the photo was taken shows
> it as one big building.
A good question might be, do they have separate *entrances*? If not
(e.g. some condominiums), then they should possibly be tagged as
apartments. In this case, it appears the entrances are separate.

Personally, if it's possible to determine the boundaries between
properties, my inclination would be to model them as separate buildings.
(It's somewhat worth noting that townhouses are *owned*, at least in
part, separately.) Property records can probably help with this. You can
probably get shapefiles of the property boundaries from the county.
(Conversely, if they *aren't* separate lots, that would be an argument
for modeling them as single buildings.)

--
Matthew