[Tagging] How to map terrace buildings with names

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 21:50:01 UTC 2020

On 07/07/2020 17.28, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> On 7. Jul 2020, at 21:48, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Personally, if it's possible to determine the boundaries between
>> properties, my inclination would be to model them as separate
>> buildings. (It's somewhat worth noting that townhouses are *owned*,
>> at least in part, separately.) Property records can probably help
>> with this.
>
> While I agree that looking at the entrance situation is useful, the
> property division is not. You can have as many proprietors for any
> single apartment as you wish (12.47% ownership is technically not a
> problem), even more for whole buildings. Think about condominium
> buildings. Some time ago we agreed to map the latter as apartment
> buildings.

Sure, but a condominium is *not* the same. A condominium is, indeed,
basically an apartment that you "own" rather than leasing. You don't own
a lot, or have any ownership whatsoever of the building exterior, and
there's a much higher change of having shared interior spaces.

In the case of a row house, you potentially do *completely* own
everything between the common walls. As elsewhere noted, you may be able
to completely tear down your unit. At the extreme end, you have
buildings that really *are* completely separate, but so close together
that you can barely tell.

It looks like what we have here are "townhouses", which are somewhere in
between "strict" row houses and condominiums.

I'm still inclined to argue that whether or not the *lots* are separate
is probably a sensible criteria. I suspect that in your "shared
apartment ownership" example, the case is that the multiple owners each
own a 'share' of a *single* property.

--
Matthew