[Tagging] R: Feature Proposal - RFC - (Ground)

Michael Montani michael.montani at un.org
Fri Jul 10 09:50:37 UTC 2020

>Why it would be natural=bare_ground rather than natural=bare_soil?

Using "ground" and defining it as "soil, not all kinds of ground" will not go well.

natural=bare_ground for me is clearly including also natural=bare_rock,
while natural=bare_soil would avoid this

This is a good point. The two ways I can see this problem solved:

  *   Change the proposal to natural=bare_soil (bare_soil was one of the proposed possible values)
  *   Collapse natural=bare_rock into a more general natural=bare_ground (requires cleaning and changing to the new tag...). Too general to me.

If natural=bare_soil receives enough support we can change to that one. Also add your thoughts to the discussion page in the wiki in such a way to keep track of all the suggestions.

Thanks,

--
Michael Montani
GIS Consultant, Client Solutions Delivery Section

Brindisi | Phone: +39 0831 056985 | Mobile: +39 3297193455 | Intermission: 158 6985
E-mail: michael.montani at un.org<mailto:mail at un.org> | www.ungsc.org<http://www.ungsc.org>

Why it would be natural=bare_ground rather than natural=bare_soil?

Using "ground" and defining it as "soil, not all kinds of ground" will not go well.

natural=bare_ground for me is clearly including also natural=bare_rock,
while natural=bare_soil would avoid this

Jul 10, 2020, 11:16 by michael.montani at un.org:
Dear mappers,

after the discussion we had through the tagging ML "Are we mapping ground on OSM?"<https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2020-July/053793.html>, it has been open a feature proposal to map ground on OSM.

Tag: natural = bare_ground (but many other options are open to discussion).
You can find the proposal wikipage here<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Ground>.

I hope this proposal will receive as many contributions possible, thank you

--
Michael Montani
GIS Consultant, Client Solutions Delivery Section
Service for Geospatial Information and Telecommunications Technologies
United Nations Global Service Centre
United Nations Department of Operational Support

Brindisi | Phone: +39 0831 056985 | Mobile: +39 3297193455 | Intermission: 158 6985
E-mail: michael.montani at un.org<mailto:mail at un.org> | www.ungsc.org<http://www.ungsc.org>

[cid:a486ba8f-6409-4de5-bb51-0f9f079739d9]