[Tagging] Distinguishing closed office spaces and client service locations?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Jul 10 14:51:43 UTC 2020

Jul 10, 2020, 15:57 by mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com:

> On 09/07/2020 17.34, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
>
>> Jul 9, 2020, 20:38 by pla16021 at gmail.com:
>>
>>> Maybe not ideal, but if you're looking for an immediate solution then
>>> access=customers and access=private?
>>>
>> I like it, but it is a bit tricky as I can walk into many offices without being
>> a customer (though typically it is done as someone wants or
>> considers being one).
>>

> I wonder if we shouldn't discourage this "use case". In my experience, while you are correct that corporate offices *do* sometimes get "walk-in clients", I think most tend to discourage that sort of thing. Usually an office that doesn't have resources dedicated to dealing with walk-ins will prefer to set up appointments for a potential customer to visit.
>
>> Maybe something along amenity=customer_service?
>>

> If a space does actively encourage walk-ins, that might work. Although...

I was thinking about space that explicitly welcomes walk-ins and exists solely to
handle them (office of an energy company - handling issues such as resolving
billing mistakes, handling overdue payments, attaching property to a power/gas
network, changing gas/electricity provider, changing billing rules etc).

Currently tagged as office=company - I was looking for something that would distinguish
it from an internal office space and for example indicate that opening_hours and
wheelchair tags are an useful addition.

>> Though access=private seems perfectly fine to mark office as internal
>> to a company (or covering restricted set of clients).
>>

> ...I would think that, yes, access=private should probably be used. I would expect that even access=private implies it's okay to go there if you're invited. (Also, if you're invited, you probably don't need to be asking OSM if it's okay to visit.)
>
> As Paul notes, I would also assume that access=private includes service workers with a legitimate reason to access the premises; affiliated vendors, postal workers, maintenance persons, etc.

+1

> p.s. access=designated is *not* a thing; so saith the wiki.

access=designated is meaningless (what is designated? Everything?)