[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - junction=intersection

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 19:52:52 UTC 2020

On 10/07/2020 15.01, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> On 10. Jul 2020, at 16:17, Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> My use case isn't the only one that has issues with this sort of
>> thing; routers can "see" more traffic lights than actually exist
>> and can (so I hear, anyway) give directions that are potentially
>> confusing.
>
> this is a different issue though, it depends how the traffic lights
> are mapped (the way the junction is represented does have influence
> how the traffic lights are mapped, but neither way leads necessarily
> to a wrong number of traffic lights).

I have to strongly disagree. Consider an intersection of dual
carriageways (so, four intersection nodes) where signals are tagged on
the intersection nodes. Please explain how a tool is supposed to
determine whether a vehicle passing "straight through" the intersection
will encounter one or two signals.

Now take that same intersection and plop it into a dense urban area
where there really *are* four separate intersections and explain how the
same tool is supposed to know when that's the case.

--
Matthew