[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - junction=intersection

Jarek PiĆ³rkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Fri Jul 10 20:38:14 UTC 2020

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 15:53, Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/07/2020 15.01, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> >> On 10. Jul 2020, at 16:17, Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> My use case isn't the only one that has issues with this sort of
> >> thing; routers can "see" more traffic lights than actually exist
> >> and can (so I hear, anyway) give directions that are potentially
> >> confusing.
> >
> > this is a different issue though, it depends how the traffic lights
> > are mapped (the way the junction is represented does have influence
> > how the traffic lights are mapped, but neither way leads necessarily
> > to a wrong number of traffic lights).
>
> I have to strongly disagree. Consider an intersection of dual
> carriageways (so, four intersection nodes) where signals are tagged on
> the intersection nodes. Please explain how a tool is supposed to
> determine whether a vehicle passing "straight through" the intersection
> will encounter one or two signals.
>
> Now take that same intersection and plop it into a dense urban area
> where there really *are* four separate intersections and explain how the
> same tool is supposed to know when that's the case.

Yeah that's a problem. But since OSM would have to be changed to add
junction=intersection tags anyway, isn't it better to use the
established method of tagging with one traffic signal per direction at
the stop line, as suggested in the wiki
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=traffic_signals#Tag_all_incoming_ways
?