[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Ground)

Jarek Piórkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Sun Jul 12 17:50:50 UTC 2020

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 at 13:36, mbranco2 <mbranco2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> And I think that we could map such characteristic even with only imagery (without direct survey), because it's a "macro" feature, as is a wood or a scrub.
> Surely it could be useful if botanists and/or geologists could better specify (with more specific tags) the cause: no rain? pollution? specific ground-conditions such as presence of salt or sulfur?
> Some references:
> - "Barren vegetation" [1]  (..."Regions on the earth’s surface where soils are dominating the ecosystems with little to no plant cover are often referred to as “Barren”. )
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barren_vegetation

This Wikipedia article seems to me to use "barren vegetation" to refer
to large areas covered in grasses and/or shrubs. That does not really
seem to match images in
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Ground#Examples
nor in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Ground#Examples
. I would suggest the proposal needs more images to define what would
be included and what wouldn't.

--Jarek