[Tagging] network tag on route relations

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 21:50:58 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 10:49 AM Robert Skedgell <rob at hubris.org.uk> wrote:

> The very short NCN route 425 in south-east London is network=ncn because
> it's a Sustrans route. THe scope of the route is very local, but the
> scope of the network is national. Without the network tag, how would a
> renderer or router determine whether it was an ncn, rcn or lcn? All
> three exist in Greater London.
I am not saying get rid of the network tag, I am saying we should be
consistent.  In the above case, if  network=UK (instead of network=ncn),
one would know it is national. First because the UK is a nation and there
is no smaller jurisdiction that follows "UK" in the tag, and because there
would be cycle routes all over the UK where network=UK.

Using this method, which seems to be in use for road routes, would allow us
to indicate the specific network which a route is part of, instead of just
the "scope" of the network.  So in the US, for a hiking route I could say
network=US:FS and everyone would know that it is a national network
operated by the US Forest Service. One might say that is what the
"operator" tag is for, but some agencies or jurisdictions operate multiple
networks, and this would be reflected in the network tag.