[Tagging] Distinguishing closed office spaces and client service locations?

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 12:47:16 UTC 2020

On 10/07/2020 19.45, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> On 7/10/20 09:04, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> (I would probably use access=permissive for e.g. a mall parking lot,
>> where it's not strictly public, but where you wouldn't be expected to be
>> visiting a particular building or organization such that it's much less
>> clear whether or not you are a "customer".)
>
> You would still most likely be expected to be a customer of some store
> within the mall, whether you're just popping into the food court to get
> a Big Mac from McDonald's for lunch or you're getting a new flat screen
> TV from Macy's (or for that matter, just browsing in Macy's).

True, but at the least, it's much harder to enforce that you aren't just
parking there and either walking to somewhere else or hitching a ride
with someone else to some other destination than it would be at a lot
dedicated to a single building. Overnight parking may well get you
towed, but I'd be surprised if people don't leave vehicles in mall lots
during the day that don't actually go to the mall. For that matter, I
know that some people go to malls just to walk around.

> At least in the US, even though malls are nominally public spaces they
> are still private property and many of them around here (Houston area)
> specifically state certain non-shopping activities that will get you
> bounced from the property (usually things like protesting or
> unauthorized peddling).

Sure, which is why such lots should be "permissive" and not "public".

--
Matthew