[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Ground)

Michael Montani michael.montani at un.org
Thu Jul 16 10:02:40 UTC 2020

According to the document you shared<http://www.fao.org/3/x0596e/X0596e02a.htm#P1974_116516>, bare soil is mentioned in:
Primarily non-vegetated > Terrestrial > Bare areas

And within Bare areas, Bare soil is an available category, being distinguished by Bare rock whether the terrain is consolidated or not.
Within Bare soil, further classification is made depending on a "stoniness" percentage (5 to 40% Stony, >40% Very stony) and on soil macropatterns (II level).

I think this could be useful material for us to make a decision. natural=bare_soil targeting all the areas of unconsolidated ground material could be used whether or not a groundy area hasn't already a tag that suits better its representation (e.g. natural=wetland + intermittent=yes, landuse=quarry...).

Thanks,

--
Michael Montani
GIS Consultant, Client Solutions Delivery Section

Brindisi | Phone: +39 0831 056985 | Mobile: +39 3297193455 | Intermission: 158 6985