[Tagging] Hiking "guideposts" painted on rocks, trees etc.

Michal Fabík michal.fabik at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 11:04:05 UTC 2020

Hi,
in some parts of the world, it's common practice to paint guidepost
information (destinations, distances etc.) on rock faces, trees, walls
and similar existing surfaces, rather than use purpose-made plates
attached to a pole. (Example:
https://osm.fit.vutbr.cz/fody/files/21255.jpg)

Do you think that these warrant their own tagging style? Or is it
acceptable to use information=guidepost, maybe with an additional tag
(although I can't think of one off the top of my head)?

I should probably stress that this is an established practice with the
local trail maintainers and the "guideposts" have a uniform appearance.
I'm not talking about scrawlings by random passers-by.

Cheers,

--
Michal Fabík