[Tagging] Riverbanks

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Jul 21 12:14:03 UTC 2020

Jul 21, 2020, 10:18 by email at daniel-korn.de:

> Hi,
>
> the wiki [1] states for riverbanks that
>
> "These water areas should be tagged as either of waterway=riverbank OR natural=water + water=river."
>
> Why do we need both variants and why don't we just say that waterway=riverbank is preferred?
>
> Cheers
> dktue
>
> [1] > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway=riverbank

Because both schemes have some support. iD is muddling things with their
pushing of "tag upgrades" without explaining to user what is happening,
so it is quite hard to say how many mappers prefer each scheme.

But almost certainly, like with phone and contact:phone, there is no support to
deprecate either one.