[Tagging] Hiking "guideposts" painted on rocks, trees etc.

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 01:01:44 UTC 2020

On 21/7/20 9:04 pm, Michal FabĂ­k wrote:
> Hi,
> in some parts of the world, it's common practice to paint guidepost
> information (destinations, distances etc.) on rock faces, trees, walls
> and similar existing surfaces, rather than use purpose-made plates
> attached to a pole. (Example:
> https://osm.fit.vutbr.cz/fody/files/21255.jpg)

In addition to paint some are carved into the material (I am thinking of
sandstone rock, trees do grow over inscriptions).

I would not be too worried by this as the renders probably will not be
bothered to show such detail.

> Do you think that these warrant their own tagging style?

No. The material the guidepost is made from is of lesser importance to
the fact that it is a 'guidepost'.

> Or is it acceptable to use information=guidepost, maybe with an
> additional tag (although I can't think of one off the top of my head)?

material=rock/sandstone/*

I know of some 'guideposts' that have no written inscription but conform
to a style and colour that identifies them to a particular trail,
similar to the white blaze of the AT. Yes, these are timber posts that
guide walkers using arrow symbols so the term 'guidepost' suits.